Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Did You Know?

Hey there!

I would like to ramble today. Actually, don't I always ramble? Haha! Anyways, read on to find out more on today's ramblings.

So did you know that chronic diseases are the most common, costly and preventable health concerns out there? Not long ago, acute diseases were the leading causes of mortality, but now the top leading causes of mortality have shifted to chronic diseases; cancer being the number one cause right now.

Many chronic diseases, such as cardiovascular disease, obesity and hypertension, are preventable. Preventing such conditions is in our hands, and a lot of us just let that opportunity slip away. So many of these chronic diseases are linked to the lifestyle choices we make - a sedentary lifestyle vs. an active lifestyle. Such a small change when you look at the bigger picture, no?

And such changes are sometimes the hardest ones we can make.

So why did I decide to talk about chronic diseases today? For a couple of reasons actually. My background is in Health Sciences so for four years of my life I have been well acquainted with chronic diseases. Now as I am doing some research on various programs offered by the YMCA of Northern BC, I see a link between them and chronic diseases. Leading diseases in various communities are chronic diseases - the ones we can actually prevent. No matter how well informed I am about this, stats still tend to surprise.

For many of us, or at least me, it comes down to priorities and time management. We are so busy with everything that time just seems to slip away; 24 hours is just not enough anymore. However, I think even if we had 48 hours in a day, they would not seem enough either. So perhaps rather than time management, it comes down to the priorities we set.

A due date for an assignment, finishing up a project, meeting a friend after ages, seems to outweigh the hour for a workout. It just seems that you just cannot spare that one hour, but then do you spend that precious hour watching your favourite TV show? LOL! After a long time, we just want to relax, and a workout may not be relaxation for many.

However, adapting an active lifestyle will prove to be beneficial for the later years. So lets try to become a little more active in our lives; rather than that TV show, go for a walk/run. Perhaps head over to the Family Y and do a fitness class. Small changes can become big pay offs.

Exercise and a healthy diet, looks awesome to read, but actually implementing it is another story. I shall quote the CEO of Y Canada..."Change is good - you first".

Well these chronic diseases scare me, so I do try to go the healthy road, but I could become so much better at this. We'll get there - eventually.

Well off to research on more chronic diseases.

Have a nice evening!
Simmi



No comments:

Post a Comment