Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Learning to Run: Week 1


What a great evening to start my first running clinic. The sun was shining and the air was brisk. It was a perfect night for a run.

I thought I would switch it up a bit and share experience via story mode. (My inspiration comes from being entranced by the first person narrative of Katniss. The Hunger games book is tres addicting.)

“I rush in a little late, and dart through the YMCA halls to the change room to get into my appropriate running attire. Already I can see the crowd of people in the YMCA foyer getting ready for their first ‘learn to run’ session of the year. I return from the change room in my black running tights, and neon blue sports tank. I enter with no shoes or jacket but quickly pull them on as I join the large group of runners.

I stand silently as the running clinic coordinator introduces herself. Her name is Carol Reimer. She is dressed in all black and explains the logistics of the running clinic. Although the runners are split into four different groups, Carol explains that for the first four weeks we train together and as we gain more stamina we will break into different groups for longer distances. Carol says that today’s run will be twenty-two minutes, with one minute of running and one minute of walking.

We all step outside into the evening sun and begin our run. For the first couple minutes I run alone. I don’t know anyone else in the clinic and am a little timid at first. As we approach an intersection I introduce myself to the women running beside me. Her name is Vanessa and she greets me warmly. We run together for the rest of the run and exchange little bits about our lives and running experiences.

Carol had said at the beginning of the run that your ability to talk comfortable should dictate your pace. So conversation was a perfect way to ensure a proper pace.

Vanessa and I talk about our goals for the 10km Road Race in June and have agreed upon under an hour. I think it will be nice to know someone that has similar goals and I hope we can keep each other motivated over the weeks.

By the end of the run I was able to meet a few more of the runners in the group. A cheery man named Tony who has made running his passion and another fellow runner who recommends a few classes at the Y for my blog. (I think interval sculpt will be my next Thursday endeavour).

The session ends with some quick stretches and off we all went as we exchanged casual goodbyes. Our next meeting will be on Thursday and I look forward it.”

Thank you for tolerating my artistic efforts. I thought a story might be fun.
My next blog will be about my second boot camp adventure… And about my TV experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment