Thursday, April 11, 2013

Strong Kids Challenge Part 1


Hello,

I am Selen, and I took part in the Strong Kids Challenge – and won! Ha!

However, I am here to talk about the experience I had doing this challenge – an experience that overshadows any winnings. A two week challenge has brought about long lasting experiences, and I have also formed some very meaningful relationships along the way.

I have been with the YMCA for six years; being on the Board as well. So you can say that I am reasonably aware of what the YMCA of Northern BC offers to the community. However, even when I know what the Y does in the community, it still can surprise me. Also, I have always maintained that the Y plays an important role in the community, but in my opinion, the optimal efforts for exposure and outreach are yet to be reached. So many people still think that the Y is just a gym, when it is so much more. It does not just provide a healthy lifestyle to the various people in the community – it also helps in providing a well-rounded quality of life to many as well.

Can you tell that I am passionate in my endeavors regarding the Y? I do enjoy talking, and when there is a topic that is part of my life, I can go on for hours!

I am a very competitive person. I compete to win. I came into this competition to win as well. However, as I went about volunteering at the various places to gain points it became much more than just winning. Winning the competition was still on my mind, but now I was not doing this just for a win. It suddenly became more about the relationships that I was forming during this road to victory.

I volunteered at three places: Neighborhood Scholars, the Simon Fraser Lodge, and Housekeeping at the Family Y. Let me briefly tell you about my time at the Neighborhood Scholars and the Simon Fraser Lodge (SFL) so you can better understand what I mean by the relationships.

One of the volunteering activities I did was to read to the children at Neighborhood Scholars. I do not have children of my own, but reading to these children was wonderful. The children were such a talkative bunch; engaging me in their conversations as if I was always a friend. They were all over me and just being so welcoming. They were also so excited and thankful when I brought in goodies in one of my reading sessions. Seeing their innocence reminds me of how life can take away our innocence – it reminds you that such small gestures can be as meaningful as the bigger ones.

I also volunteered at SFL by going to help out with their bingo sessions. Spending time at SFL has been some emotional journey for me. You cannot but be respectful of all these people. They have so much experience concerning life and you just learn from them; putting a new perspective towards life. I think it was here where my A personality took a bit of a back seat, and cherishing the lasting experience kicked in. Yes, I did volunteer my time, but let me tell you, the volunteer gets more out of this than anyone else.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am diving my entry into two parts! So if you want to find out more about my experience, you know where to find me tomorrow!

Take care

No comments:

Post a Comment