Friday, April 12, 2013

Strong Kids Challenge Part 2

Hello,

Yesterday I left you with a a glimpse of my time at Simon Fraser Lodge. Here's the rest of it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


There is this one man at SFL that I have formed a personal relationship with. What started off as being just volunteering for bingo has evolved into an attachment that I am grateful for. This man may have some problems communicating, but even in this little window of communication, he was able to convey to me everything he wanted me to know.

It all started with bingo, but then I went back and played checkers with him; being late for supper once because we played for four hours! He would always be thankful for anything I did for him, even if it was something really small – a very humbling experience for me. The Strong Kids Challenge may be over now, but I will be going back to play bingo and checkers with my new found friend!

There was another resident at SFL who was an inspiration. She had fallen very ill and her family had packed most of her belongings; a manner that said she would not be coming back. She was so angry at them and became very determined to get well and leave SFL to go home. Two weeks ago, she left SFL. I bought her a gift, and again she was so thankful for it; the small gestures, my friend, make the difference.

Finally, I would like to talk about YAP and Misty. Not many people know about this initiative and Misty. Even Misty does not realize how important she is to all of the children and the community at times. As I said, I feel that the outreach and exposure efforts are not at optimal levels for me, so I preached what I practiced! There were two sessions for YAP, and I went to both; bringing a few of my employees each time. And in both sessions, they were all very affected by this initiative.

At the end, they came up to me and discussed various ideas on how they would help YAP. One of them has taken it upon herself to take stuff that is not needed over to YAP. This is how strong an affect YAP has; not only on those kids, but everyone in the community. Even when it comes to myself, the impact is pretty great. Although, as much as I like to, I cannot volunteer my time at YAP. So I try to help out as much as I can financially.

In this challenge, I was able to expose about 27 people to the various initiatives the Y is part of. I took employees not only to YAP, but SFL too where they enjoyed it thoroughly. Again, the volunteer, in my opinion, experiences the greater impact.

All in all, I had a wonderful time taking part in the Strong Kids Challenge. It helped raise money, but it also provided me a great learning experience that helps me better define myself. I do not know if I will do the challenge next year, but I do know that the relationships that I have built will stay with me for a very long time.




Take care,
Selen   

No comments:

Post a Comment