Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Fusion


A side noteà For those of you that don’t know, fusion (as a fitness class term) refers to the combination of Yoga and Pilates and is suitable for those wanting to increase core strength and vitality.

This past week the basketball gym was closed for a few days because of the installation of a curtain that can now be used to separate the gym. The curtain makes the space more efficient and is awesome.

If you want to see a picture àNew Addition ß

Because of the gym closure boot camp was cancelled. So I found a different fun class to try out. Every Wednesday at 12:10pm Nancy teaches a fusion class. I’ve heard some things about Nancy as an instructor and the consensus was that she is a really tough instructor that will kick your butt. And the hearsay was true. But she didn't just kick my butt, she also decided to make it burn. And she made my thighs, core, and arms burn too. She really likes the chair pose.

To demonstrate


Yes that’s a skeleton doing the chair pose. Thank goodness he doesn’t have any muscles, because Nancy would have made them burn. 

This was the most memorable position from the class for me. We did the traditional chair pose but we also progressively lowered our bum, which increased the burn. We held this position for what felt like an eternity. My legs were on fire.

Anyways, besides the burn, Nancy was great about ensuring that we never did anything that our bodies were incapable of and that we were composed in all the positions.  She stressed that it wasn’t a competition and to only push yourself as far as you felt comfortable. It was a great supportive environment.

Another nice thing that I have been noticing about the classes at the Y is that there seems to be regulars. I see the same people over and over again and it’s almost like a mini gym community. I really like it.
I would defiantly recommend fusion if you would like to strengthen your muscles without lifting any weights. Also fusion has the added benefit of increasing your flexibility.

Try it out if you like, and maybe you will see me there.

No comments:

Post a Comment