Thursday, April 19, 2012

Learn to Run: Tuesday wk4


“Again, I rush into the Y foyer with a minute to spare before learn to run. As I approach our usual meeting spot, one of the running volunteers directs me to the studio and I remember that today we have a presentation by the Y’s physiotherapist about running injuries and injury prevention. I walk into the studio and see the running group huddled in the room. The presentation begins and the Physiotherapist, Kerry Roberts, steps to the front of the room. She talks about common injuries, which are mostly over-use issues, and stresses the importance of listening to your body. I zone out a bit during the talk because of a stressful day at work. (Working with at-risk children can be very complicated and I find myself worrying for their health at times.) I try to push work out of my mind and focusing, but it is difficult.

Kerry finishes up her presentation and we head out for our run. The sun is shining and today Prince George is beautiful. I run in the front with Carol, Lindsey, Vanessa, and Buddy. The running pattern for today is:                                     

Warm up                                           
Run 5 Walk 3                             
Run 7 Walk 5               
Run 5 Walk 4               

However, Carol is sneaky and the leading group ends up running mostly 10 minute run and 1 minute walk intervals and we end up finishing the 4 kms in less than 30 minutes. I leave the running group in a great mood and look forward to Thursday’s run and think to myself “there’s something about people who run, I truly believe they are happier.” I feel refreshed.

I jump into my car and stroll out of the parking lot with my sunglasses on, and the windows down…”

This is from the One Twenty Five blog I was talking about earlier.
Just some down to earth running advice--.So, you wanna be a runner?

No comments:

Post a Comment