Friday, April 20, 2012

Learn to Run: 10km & 5km split


“I enter the Y foyer and I can hear Carol’s voice informing everyone about today’s run. Today is the first day we spilt into our 10km and 5km training groups. Carol asks the group who is interested in the 10km group and I watch a few hands hesitantly go up and I lift mine as well. The majority of the group seems to be interested in the 5km group, however the difference between the groups runs today is only 400m. The 10km group will be running 4.8km and the 5km group 4.4km.

Carol concludes her talk and we all shuffle outside. I can see that the skies are gloomy and I fear they are forewarning of rain.

Our group heads south down Massey and there is a strong wind. The wind doesn’t chill me or bring back thoughts of winter; rather the wind more annoys me as its current throws up dust and dirt into the air. (*Cough*) We turn left onto Ospika, left Pinewood, left Westwood, and then we are back onto Massey heading back to the Y. It’s so strange because no matter what direction we are facing the wind still seems to be blowing right into our faces. The dust and wind makes my eyes water but it doesn’t deter me from my running conversations. I tell Brad about my boot camp experiences with Faydra on Tuesday and he invites me to a class on Friday. Brad teachers a section of the spring training boot camp at the Y and he tells me about his boot camp endeavours. I’m not sure if my legs are ready for sprinting up bleachers again, and I kindly tell him that I’ll “think about it”.

We all arrive back at the Y and start our stretching. I’m always in such a great mood after the runs. I feel they are almost therapeutic for me. A stressful day turns into a refreshing evening. I love learning to run.”

I’ll be at the Rotary Health and Volunteer Fair at Pine Center mall Saturday morning. Come say Hi, and if my company isn’t enticing enough, come and enter to win a three month family membership.

No comments:

Post a Comment