Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Learning to run: Week 2


Tuesday
“It’s a mix of sun and clouds all day. At 3:30pm I look out the window and see that it is snowing. It’s April, and I think to myself that the snow will dissipate in 10 minutes or so.
2 hours later…
I arrive at the YMCA and I step out of my car onto 2 inches of wet slushy snow. “Did it really just snow in April?”
I walk into the Y lobby and meet up with my fellow runners. We head out into frosty parking lot and start our run. I meet up with Lindsay, the slim brunette I had met last week. She has brought her dog Bella who is an adorable schnauzer mix. We continue our run and I find out from the other runners that snow in April isn’t unusual for PG. ~sigh~.
The run is 26 minutes with walk/run intervals. I arrive back at the Y feeling refreshed and light. We dive into our routine stretches and off we go until Tuesday.”

Thursday
“I’m relieved that the weather looks nice today. It’s the end of the week before the long weekend and it is reflected in the low numbers of runners.
I was also tempted to start my weekend a little earlier…
But I’m here and ready for my run. The weather is mild and arguably the perfect running weather: brisk cool air with sparks of sunshine. The run goes by fast because I am emerged in deep conversation with great company.
We arrive back at the Y for the routine stretches.  During the stretches one of the running leaders gives us some pointers about becoming a more efficient runner and I look forward to trying the tips on my next run.”

My take away tips
  1. Run with your arms swaying forward not across your body.
  2.  Pretend you are holding potato chips in your hands. (Keep a relaxed hand posture. Don’t break the chip!)(The next one’s a little strange, but apparently it works)
  3.  Don’t pound the sidewalk and think that you are running on something. Visualize that you are a tire rolling down the sidewalk. (This is supposed to help with the fluidity of running)


No comments:

Post a Comment