Thursday, April 12, 2012

Learning to Run Week 3: Tuesday


“The air is warm and smells of spring. I look down at the pavement and watch gravel, dirt, and dust particles track off the road and swirl through the air. I hope to myself that the dust advisory will be lifted soon and pray for some spring showers.
I enter the Y foyer and Carol, the clinic coordinator, is announcing that the route and run/walk intervals will be different this week.
Running Pattern for this week


Warm Up
2 repeats run 2 walk 2
2 repeats run 3 walk 3
Run 4 walk 2


I am excited for change and the slight increase in intensity.
We all head for the doors and begin our run. We head up Massey to Ospika and I notice that we are heading up hill. Carol had mentioned earlier that everywhere you go, you will encounter hills and it is important to learn how to run them properly.”


Carol's tips for body position
Head up, looking ahead, shoulders nice and loose, nice tall open body to allow as much oxygen as possible into your lungs.

“The air quality is unfortunate but we all continue our run strong. We make it all the way to the end of Massey to the dog park before we turn around. I am running in the front with Lindsey and Vanessa and we are jogging at a good pace. Running is much more enjoyable when you have people to talk with. We chat about taxes, my blog, running shoes, and just life in general. It’s really nice.
We arrive back at the YMCA, stretch, and we’re off.”

On Thursday we have a field trip at Stride and Glide. If you saw my twitter picture (current shoes), then you know I am in desperate need of new runners. I love shoe shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment