Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Brian Ray

My name is Brian Ray and I have called PG home for over 20 years. My story is the same as many of you; we came to town screaming & kicking yet soon loved it enough to stay. My wife, Val, and I have four kids all of whom have left the nest.

I am a 52 year old Bank Manager of the TD Canada Trust in Pine Centre. As you might be able to guess, my job is lacking for any type of exercise. That said I have been known to wrestle for a good pen or valued file folder.

I hate to admit something... All males do. It’s a secret core belief we all have deep within, yet we never talk about it. It’s not something that we want to make public, even though all men believe it. You might be wondering what that secret is. Ok, I will tell you, but don’t let on that you now know. Here it is: “Young men are gods and they will live forever.”

Dose of reality: I turned 51 last year and I took toll of where my body was at. Eek!

I was out of shape, overweight, I felt lethargic and ached all over. I had an epiphany that shocked me to the core. I was NOT a god and certainly would not live forever. On top of that, the torpid and achy feeling was not how I wanted to live. And then my doctor used a word that hit me right between the eyes. He called me obese!

I knew I had to make some changes.

I think I am very typical, in that I took too many things for granted. I had chosen not to learn some basics of life. I enjoyed food, so I ate what I enjoyed whenever I wanted. I never learned how to eat properly. I hadn’t been to the gym and I had no idea what to do if ever I wanted to get fit.

The first thing I did was learn to eat. I discovered the proper amounts to eat, proper types of foods to eat (and the food to stay away from). There I was, 51 years old and had to learn how to eat properly. However, in that, I discovered an entirely different repertoire of food that I now love.

Then I joined the Family Y and spent some time with Heidi. She was excellent. She cared enough to understand where I was at and helped me formulate a plan. I really appreciated her (even though she could out-lift me… by a lot!) I go to the Y three or four times a week and love to go. It makes me feel good.

As for today, I have lost over 60 pounds, look and feel fit, eat well, have tons of energy and I see the value of being healthy. My wife has been inspired and she has now lost over 70 pounds. I love you and am very proud of you Val!

I may not live forever, but I will certainly feel great for the rest of my life.

Get fit, eat well and get to the Family Y!

Brian Ray

2 comments:

  1. What a great story!
    Way to go Brian and Val! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your story Brian - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete