Monday, June 4, 2012

Learn to Run: Road Race!


Well this is what I have been waiting for. Ten weeks of hard work have been leading up to this day: the 26th annual YMCA Road Race.
Morning of the Road Race

It was an amazing experience.

Here’s my story…

“The alarm sounds at 4:00 am. I begrudgingly shuffle out of bed and get ready to help with the set-up for the race. I grab my pre-organized running bag, equipped with my racing shirt (bib already attached), shoes, water, and breakfast.

I step out my door and I am surprised at how light out it is. Is it really 445 am?

Set-up is smooth. Tara (Road race event organizer) is so organized that we end up finished and ready to go by 7am.  

I drive back home to pick-up Graham for the race. We get back to Masich Stadium just as the half marathoners set off on their race. I am filled with excitement as I see the racers pass, one by one. It’s almost my turn!

Before I know it I’m lined up at the start line. I have found Lindsay and Allison in the crowds and I can feel their excitement. We have all worked so hard in the running clinic together and it feels nice to have them there as we begin our race.
Graham and I getting ready to go!

GO!
The crowd starts to move and we go through the timing towers, fully aware that our timing chips have been activated. I feel a little nervous.

The excitement from the crowds starts to fade as the groups separate and individuals find their pace.
Lindsay, Graham and I run together for the first couple kilometers, but Lindsay’s pace quickens and she’s off.

We are probably only 3 or 4 km’s into the race and I’m tired, really tired. The adrenaline has worn off and I’m faced with the reality that 4 hours of sleep isn’t conducive to racing. It’s hard but I keep going. Convincing my legs that they aren’t tired is difficult, but I have to remember it’s all in my mind. I've done this before and I can do it again.

Graham motivates me along the way, shouting encouraging words that quicken my pace. I’m so grateful he’s running with me.

I try to thank all the volunteers along the way, because without them this race wouldn’t be able to happen. They are all so friendly and they reply with inspiring words.

I pass the sign that reads, "1km to go". AHHHHHH. My pace really starts to pick up and I pass runners who have been in my sight the entire race.

The last stretch is downhill and my legs just start to carry themselves. I reach the fence and am greeted by Faydra and Mark. I’m almost there!

I am so tired. Unconsciously, I start to slow down. Graham notices and screams for me to keep going!
I see the finish line and I am sprinting. I don’t know where the energy comes from but I’m giving it my all.

It’s done. My first Road Race!!!

I am greeted by fellow clinic runners. It is so joyful!”

High-fives all around. Congratulations to everyone who completed the Road Race.

To everyone in the running clinic--> you are awesome!

Extended thank you to my running partners Lindsay, Kerry, Vanessa, and Brad. Thank you for running with me, pushing me, and all the wonderful conversations.

And the biggest thank you to Carol! Thank you for organizing the clinic, for all the great advice, and always being there.


My time: 57m 57s.

Okay, it wasn’t my goal time of 55m. But it was pretty good. I’m happy and just thankful for the experience. Also I might just run the route in the near future and try for 55 again. I’m so close… I’m going to do it.

1 comment:

  1. what a great story - I felt like I was there! And I was (but not the running part!)

    ReplyDelete