Thursday, June 14, 2012

Scott McWalter: Part 1


My nameis Scott McWalter and I am a proud member of the Prince George Family Y.

I firmly believe that health is a virtue people most often taken for granted until it'sgone. So, like many other individuals who are fortunate enough to call the great City of Prince George their home, the Family Y continues to play a vitally imperative role in helping me stay active and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Over the years, as a by-product to the fitness component of being a Family Y member, I've developed enduring relationships with the friendly staff, various fitness instructors and, of course, other members who share the same passion for being part of a fitness facility synonymous with enhancing community spirit. Welcome to the world of the PG Family YMCA. It's a fun world to be in.

Growing up in Prince George, I use to think the PG Family Y was, by far, the best fitness facilityin the City. After graduating from the UNBC Commerce Program in 2008 and spending the past few years living in places like Prince Rupert, Whistler and Vancouver, it's became clearly evident to me that the PG Family Y is one of the best fitness facilities in the province!

The compelling proof presented itself while I was living in Kitsilano, one of the most health-orientated communities in Canada. At this time, I experienced a heightened fascination with physical fitness, but there was always something missing: none of the gyms in the lower mainland, although insanely beautiful and well-kept, had the same sense member camaraderie as the PG Family Y!

In late-2011, I received an offer of admission to UNBC's Master of Business Administration program. Immediately, I was excited about the opportunity to return to my homecity, not only to pursue my MBA, but also because this meant I'd once again get to enjoy being Prince George Family Y member. How good is that?

The Family Y has helped me facilitate the achievement of several past fitness goals. Whether it was participating in a Rep Reebok class to lean down for summer, joining a running group to prepare for the annual Iceman competition or rocking a fusion class that incorporated balance into my varsity soccer training schedule, I could always rely on the Y's group fitness programs and instructors for supplementary guidance and inspiration.

Scott A. McWalter, B.Comm.
Twitter: KitsBeachCanuck

1 comment: