Friday, May 4, 2012

Learn to Run: Week 6


Week 6
Tuesday 6.0 km run
In a nut shell: Super Awesome! Got lost and ended up running 6.5-7k easy breezy! (Yes no breaks, except at lights) So proud of myself.

Story experience: “I arrive at the Y and Carol has just started to arrange us into our 5k and 10k groups. We step outside and begin our warm up walk. The evening breeze makes me instantly regret my choice of attire. The appearance of the sun has misled me. I rub my exposed arms with the hopes of creating some warmth.

We head up Carney Hill and I can feel my legs shaking from my boot camp exertions earlier in the day. I cringe through the hill and feel the ease in my thighs as we return to level ground. I am running with Vanessa, Brad, and Buddy today. The conversation is lively as we discuss the possibility of a ½ Marathon in August. Vanessa and I have even decided to train together over the summer and to keep each accountable to a schedule.

In the midst of it all, we discover that we are a little lost. Perhaps a wrong turn somewhere but we eventually arrive at the Y. Out of breath and red faced, we begin our routine stretches. I feel fantastic and leave feeling so proud about our run.”

SeaWheeze ½ marathon here I come!


Thursday 4.0 km run
In a nut shell: It was a strange and difficult run. I ran by myself. All by myself. Alone with my thoughts…

Story experience:
“Today Carol informs us that the 5k and 10k groups run together.
We begin the run.
The group is small today.
I look around but I don’t see my usual running partners Vanessa or Brad.
We head up Carney Hill and I notice that almost immediately the group disperses.

Carol and Lindsay are leading the group and I can see them not too far ahead. I have managed to set myself between two groups. I am, for the first time during this clinic, running alone. My legs are still fatigued from Tuesday’s run but after the hill they begin to get their rhythm. Carol and Lindsay motivate me to keep my pace. If they get out of sight, I’m lost. The Prince George streets are still new to me and I wouldn’t feel comfortable finding my way.

I feel conflicted as I battle my breath, my goals, and my thoughts of walking. I am running alone and my thoughts of quitting are haunting. I think to myself “you can do this, you have done this before, and you are still accountable to yourself and your goals.”

My lungs are burning and my legs are weak. My self-motivation is dwindling. I try not to think. All I can think about is walking, which is quitting, because I know I can do this. I want to walk, take a break, and stop.

But somehow I make it to the Y.”

Self-revelation: I need to learn how to run by myself.
Thursday’s Run was really hard for me but I pushed through. Proving to myself that I can so this. Running is a mental game.

I'm going to start logging my runs so you guys can see my progress.

Jog Log From Thursday's run


2 comments:

  1. Way to go with your running! I used to prefer runs by myself and what helped me get through them was my iPod. Seeing the running-alone time as beneficial to your mind and spirit health is the best way to do it. Enjoy that time alone with your thoughts; you can daydream, work through problems, set goals, etc. I believe each person needs alone time as a break for their minds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice. I really need to try running alone and learn how to sort through my thoughts, and music is a great idea. I don't know why, but my last run was really tough mentally. I'm going to practice running alone this weekend and try your advice. I like the idea of daydreaming during runs.

    ReplyDelete