Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Learn to Run: Week 8


Via email from Carol (Running Leader extraordinaire):
A quote from Runner’s World Magazine – “If you run, you are a runner.  It doesn’t matter how fast or how far.  It doesn’t matter if today is your first day or if you’ve been running for 20 years.  There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get.  You just run.” – John Bingham

“I arrive at exactly 5:30pm. I dash to the Y doors and wedge my way into the group. Carol gives us the signal and we all start to move outside for our run.

I can see that the city haze has lifted; revealing blue skies and the evening sun and I can feel the warmth of the air.

Today`s run is a short run and Carol has suggested we work on our goals for the Road Race. Flashbacks from my speedy (and a little insane) weekend run scatter my thoughts, and I try to convince myself that I did it once, so I can do it again. *Goal – 55 minute 10K!!*

Carol sets a good pace for us and I am running with Brad, Buddy, and Lindsey. (and 2 canine friends J). We are a couple kilometers into our run and the pace is manageable. Our usual conversations are replaced with deep breaths, sighs, and focus.

My breath is heavy and I am struggling. I am motivated by the group and I keep pushing. We turn the corner for the last stretch of the run.

Carol begins a monologue of motivation, 
“Imagine this is the road race. You can hear the crowds at the finish line. ”
 We start to turn around the bend in the road.
 “Now you can see the finish line and all of adorning fans. Only a little more to go and the race is complete.”
Carol's pause is filled with the sound of pounding shoes on the pavement and deep breaths.
“Push all the way to the end! Forget about your legs, it`s all in your head now.”

Somehow we are all sprinting, pushing towards the imaginary finish line. 
Red faced and sweaty, we all make it.”

It was a tough run but I`m still alive, still walking, still breathing, and still going.

Results from my Jog Log





No comments:

Post a Comment