Friday, May 11, 2012

Learning to Run: Week 7 Thursday


Jog Log 
5 minute walking warm up, 10 minute run 1 minute walk intervals...and a couple traffic light stops

Thursday's run was awesome. It was a small group and there were only 3 trainees and 2 training leaders there for the 10 K group. But is was nice because we got to discuss our goals and make plans on how to achieve them.


My Goal: 10K in 55:00 minutes for the June 3 YMCA Road Race
Currently I average about 6:30 per kilometre. To reach my goal I need to cut a minute off my kilometre time. Yikes...That seems like a fast pace to keep for 10 kilometres.

But I think I can do it.

So now that I know where I want to be, I need to figure out how I'm  going to get there.

My Actions (which will help me accomplish my goals)
Carol suggested going for a few fast but short runs and working my pace to 5:30 per km.
So for my weekend runs I plan to run short but fast runs. And this will hopefully allow me to work up my pace. I only have 3 weekend runs before the race... this is my schedule

  1. 5 km at 6:00 m per km pace (May 12)
  2. 5km at 5:45 m per km pace  (May 19)
  3. 5km at 5:30 m per km pace  (May 26)
Hopefully this helps my speed. Also Carol had mentioned that your training pace is always a little slower than your race pace, so hopefully I'll get adrenaline pumping on race day to help my time.

If you have a fitness goal, or any goal really, I think it helps if you write it down. 
My goal setting tips.

1.) Establish the goal
2.) Set a Deadline/Date for the accomplishment of the goal

3.) Write down what actions you are going to take that will help you accomplish the goal and pick a    time/date when you are doing the actions.

Simple right?... Doing the actions is the hard part. Keep yourself accountable, don't forget the goal you set out to achieve. Even if you don't quite hit your goal, adjust the deadline and keep working at it.




No comments:

Post a Comment