Friday, May 18, 2012

Learn to Run: Week 8 Thursday


Morning

“I’m really excited about my run tonight. Tonight we are attempting a route that is very similar to the Road Race route. However, my legs are just not agreeing with my excitement. I could feel their weakness when I got out of bed this morning and I was hoping the fatigue would pass as the day went on but it hasn’t. I wasn’t expecting Tuesday night Yoga to emphasize leg work, and too many warrior poses may be the culprit of my tired legs. At least the weather is nice today…not.
I sit in my office chair hearing spouts of hail clatter off the windows and roof top. Karen, my boss, blames Tara (co-worker) and me for winter’s return. We must have angered the weather gods when we decided to wear sandals and shorts before the May long weekend.”

Afternoon

“My legs are still tired. I’ve lost my excitement for my evening run. The kids at After-school-care are being so mean to each other today and I am mentally exhausted from trying to mediate their arguments.
The sun makes an appearance when the kids go play outside, but it is quickly covered by a dark cloud. A few minutes later tiny white chocolate chip size pieces of ice start to fall from the sky. I hope it doesn’t hail during the run tonight.”

Run time

“I arrive at the Y at 5:30 as usual. I walk up to the doors and see that Carol is talking to a camera man. She seems to be in the middle of an interview and is talking about the Running Clinic (shaw cable exclusive). I wait for the filming to complete before I walk through. Carol enters soon after me and explains the routes. Tonight’s plan is to run most of the Road Race 10k at a ‘slower than race day' pace. I think I can handle it.
We head up Massey and begin our run. My legs are so tired. I hope the fatigue passes. ...

(It doesn’t)…

We are on kilometer 6 and the inside of my ankles are killing me. There is a strange tight, cramping feeling up the inside of my leg. I ask Carol about the pain at a traffic light stop and she advises that I keep going, so I keep going.
The pace is comfortable and we share good conversations during the run, and if it weren’t for the pain in my legs the run would be enjoyable."

Kilometer 8
"We are so close, I am so tired, but I know I can finish this. I slow down my pace because of the pain and everyone is now running ahead of me.

Lindsay and Bella on our easy jog back to the Y.
Too bad you can't see the freezing rain
.
Somehow the pain starts to fade… I pick up my pace and catch up with the group. We make it to the Y, but Carol turns right and we keep going… “700 more meters and it’s 9.0k” she says. We all start to sprint… only 600m..500m… It starts to hail and chucks of ice are flying towards my face… 300m…200m…100m. I forget about my legs and just focus on running as fast as I can... 30m.20m.10m. DONE.

We take an easy jog back to the Y. I am freezing and I have lost the dexterity in my hands as I try to zip up my coat. We stretch and we are off to our busy lives.”


Tuesday’s run was a hard one for me, but I’m so glad I finished it. I would have never done it alone and I am so very grateful for the wonderful people in the running group that motivate me. Thanks guys!

Jog Log 




No comments:

Post a Comment