Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Health Yoga

So I’m back again with another blog entry. First of all, let me ask you this – did you eat the apple I asked you to yesterday? Hope you did!
So today I had my very first Health Yoga class at the Y. I have done simple Yoga before (relaxation etc), but Health Yoga was a first. However, before we get into this, let’s talk about my pre-yoga experience at the Y this morning.
The class started at 10am, and I was there half an hour early to get my membership card. After I got it, I had a little adventure because Simmi can’t read! The change room signs pointed down, but I went up! It took me a good 5 minutes to realize what had happened. After my little adventure I found the studio, and met the yoga instructor – Petra. She was filling in for Regan for the day, and was such a sweetheart.
Now, just yesterday I had given an example of not judging the book by its’ cover, but did I learn? No! I went for Health yoga with the notion that it will be pretty simple; nothing too hard-core. Boy was I ever wrong. Serves me right for not stretching beforehand!
We started easy enough; concentrating on the breathing. Did you know that you could exhale and inhale from 3 areas of your body – lower abdominal, lower chest area, and upper chest area – in one go? It took us a couple of practice runs to get the breathing down. Who would have thought breathing could be this difficult?!
Furthermore, who would have thought some body parts could stretch like that? Well, now I do know. Poses, when seen on TV or seeing others do it, seem really easy – the “Oh, I can do that easily” behaviour – crops in. Like I said, don’t judge the cover; never judge the cover! The simple Child Pose made me have many “Oh, that could stretch like that?!” moments. The Warrior Pose as well had that effect; it’s not that easy lol.
Have you ever noticed that when you are told to do something, even the simplest of instructions, that they seem impossible at that moment? When we were told balance on one foot it felt that she was asking for the impossible! However, even with such impossibilities, I thoroughly enjoyed myself! Even after stretching body parts that felt shouldn’t be stretched, I felt very refreshed after the class.
So go for Health Yoga guys! It’ll help with various ailments, such as, digestion and blood pressure. Hey, I’ll take this over pills any day! And if this isn’t a great incentive, then another one is that it’ll help you relax physically. In such a stressed out world, a relaxed body is divine!
Well now I’m off to Group Care. Let’s see how this turns out.
Bye for now!

Simmi

No comments:

Post a Comment