Thursday, February 7, 2013

Toddlers.....Not Today!

Hey!

Oh. My. God. Do I ever think to connect the dots in simple circumstances? Apparently not. So today I had scheduled myself to go volunteering at the Toddler Care room at 1pm; exact same time as the Group Care volunteering. That day I had gone when it was nap time, so I don't understand why I didn't realize that nap time could be the same for the toddlers too?

Okay, I think I can excuse myself for not using my head here with the very plausible excuse that I was so engrossed with my research I didn't really find connecting the dots a priority lol.

Oh, lets just deviate here a bit and discuss my research progress. Yesterday, I had began to research on the various communities; having overload of information to deal with. After some feedback from Karen, I began making demographic tables for the various communities.

Around noon today I had this "oh wait a second" moment. This is when I realized that I'm at community No. 10, and haven't talked to Karen if this is what she had meant. I had organized all my data and felt that I was on top of everything, but that's too good to be true lol. This is where you'd think I'd panic, but I didn't!

Over the years in university, one thing I've learnt is that too much information is not a bad thing at all. It's much more easier to condense than to look for more information. So when I was brushing up the data on one community, Dawson Creek, to show Karen I didn't feel rushed; I felt that I had a good start on things. Luckily, I was on the right track, and I feel I may even beat the schedule I've made for myself!

Oh wait I totally deviated, right? We were going to learn about my Toddler Care experience and I just got wrapped into research again. Yes, I'm a nerd, and proud of it! It's awesome when the work you do actually makes sense! Lol!

So coming back to Toddler Care. As I'm sure everyone has guessed, I went there when it was nap time. I felt disheartened; I had wanted to see all the toddlers. However, I didn't cancel and come back to my desk. No, I asked Jean what I could do to help and stayed the time I scheduled for Toddler Care! I loaded the dishwasher, I unscrewed the Velcro straps off the chairs, put the straps in the laundry room, and screwed newly washed Velcro straps back on the chairs. I was productive!

Oh they also have a Guinea Pig, Sammy, that gave me a mini heart attack. After I had cleaned the ball area and was talking to Jean, I caught something moving towards me out of nowhere! Though I still don't understand how I missed seeing that huge cage. Fail. And anyways, don't Guinea Pigs get heart attacks if you shock them? Or wait, is that tiny fact for hamsters? I think it is hamsters. I'll look it up, and tell you guys tomorrow!

So anyways, this was my volunteering experience for today. Next time, I'm scheduling Child Care in the morning! The "Fool Me Once" rhyme comes to mind; I hope I don't go to the "third fool"!!!!!

Well I'm off to do more research, so bye bye for now!

Simmi

No comments:

Post a Comment