Friday, February 8, 2013

Senior Fit

I think Senior Fit was my favourite activity of the week. I had an amazing time with everyone there, and they were so awesome to have included me in their games.

So I arrived there a couple of minutes late due to traffic, and when I reached the studio room the doors were shut. I peeped into the room to check if I was about to knock on the right door. Well I saw chairs and people sitting on it, and remembered Tara and Karen telling me there would be chairs. I knocked and walked on a surprised Ramona who was probably thinking I walked into the wrong room. I introduced myself, and she told me that she had read my email. I had totally forgotten I had sent one - everyone knows me! How do I feel about this? Not sure. Lol!

She told me she was filling in for Cheryl, and I smiled to myself. Do you know why I smiled? Now lets think about it; you don't have to think so hard. I mentioned this in my previous blog entry too. Lets refresh your memory - every class I have been to at the Y has been run by an instructor who is there as a substitute. Finding a smile in little things is the key for a happier life!

Anyways, I had arrived when they had just started; throwing the ball to each other as a way of remembering everyone's name. The person with the ball would name a person and throw it to him/her. We had a fun time trying to get my name right. The names went from Timmi, Jimmi, Rimmi to finally Simmi. One of them came up to me to read the name tag to see the complicated name I was bestowed with. Lol! After that we started playing the "Hit the Balloon with a Fly Swatter" game; finishing the session with some stretching.

As I was helping clean up, Ramona shared a really sweet story which I shall share with all of you now. One of the seniors, John, is a fine example of the need and importance of a program for seniors. When John had started the program he was in a wheelchair, and as time progressed on he left his wheelchair for a walker. Today that walker has also gone and is walking around with a cane in his hand. What an inspirational story!

All in all, it was a pretty nice way to spend Friday afternoon. Now tomorrow for some Zumba and a haircut! I'm very excited for both!

P.S. It's the weekend, a long weekend! Not a bad way to ending the first week here! Talking about first week - I survived!!

Simmi


No comments:

Post a Comment