Tuesday, February 12, 2013

REC ROOM and Beyond

Hello hello!

How is everyone's Tuesday after the long weekend coming along? Mine has been pretty busy.

In the morning I finished off some work and sent it off to Lynette, and after that I headed to the REC Room which was empty!

Now with my experience, is it a surprise that it was empty? Yeah, I thought so. I met Nicole who was apologetic about me having nothing to do, but as my track record shows, I was very much okay with the situation. I offered to help clean windows with her, and eventually someone had come in to play so I could see how the room was utilized.

Okay, I need to take a moment and COMPLAIN! When I was a kid the Y didn't have such a nice REC Room; the closest thing to this was the McDonald's playroom, which wasn't this amazing. As I was watching the little boy go up to the slide, I was envious. We always argue that being a kid 20 years back was much better than today from the activity perspective; iPods, iPads etc. were not yet invented. Playing outside was the first choice of recreation and not video games. However, we didn't have this REC room!

Alright I'm done, for now. As we cleaned up the place, Nicole told me that "rush hour" for the REC room was after 2pm, so now I know when to go there! We also discussed schooling, and it brought back memories of how overwhelming it felt when I thought nothing would come out with this degree. So talking to her, and giving her rationales about what the degree entailed and what you could do with it made me laugh. Grass is always greener on the other side!

As our discussion progressed, children from daycare came to play. Oh my God, they were so adorable!! I know what I'm doing this weekend. I'm bringing my friend's kid to the REC Room. This way I'll actually have a legit excuse to go on it! Ssshh!

Anyways, I spent a good 10 minutes just looking at the children, and how they played. The steps you need to climb to get to the top are a bit widely spaced, so it takes a great deal of effort for the children. Especially this little girl who spent a couple of minutes trying to climb up. She was such a smart cookie though; mapping her way across the step. First she tried climbing from the middle which didn't work. Then she went to the sides and figured out that she could grip the edge, and heaved herself up. So adorable!

After the REC Room, I came back to proof and reference and then print copies for Lynette. The printer really did not like me. I think it knows I'm the intern, and that's why it jammed twice! You know how they show on TV, how interns have it rough - I think the printer tried to ape that. It took around 15 minutes to get my copies printed! These copies were needed for a meeting in the afternoon or else I would have told that printer off. LOL!

Last thing for this Tuesday was that I was invited to the meeting to see how things were being done and the urgency that's needed right now. Basically, the research I've been doing is on hold now, and my time will be spent in helping Lynette and her team. I think it'll be fun as it's something I'm interested in. So lets wait and see!

On that note, till we meet again!

Simmi

No comments:

Post a Comment