Thursday, February 28, 2013

Abilities and Choices

Hiya,

"It is our choices....that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities"
- Albus Dumbledore

This is one of my all time favourite quotes from the Harry Potter series, said by my favourite character in the series. The choices we make are what truly define us rather than the abilities we possess. We may have the ability to differentiate the right from wrong or have the ability to thoroughly analyse the situation. However, it is the choice of whether we choose to acknowledge that right from wrong or choose to analyse the situation that show who we really are. These choices are what distinguishes the "ideal me" to the "actual me". 

Everyone, in my opinion, has the ability to make a difference - big or small - but not everyone acts upon this ability to make that difference. It is much easier, and sometimes safer too, to take the route that does not exert much effort on your end. When option A brings about the reaction that is almost equal to the reaction option B, that needs much more work, brings then why not choose A?

In this day and age, when everyone is constantly on the go, it is much more easier to take the faster route to get the results or reactions. In trying to encompass that result or reaction, we may compromise the quality of our choices. We all wear the "biased glasses". Some of us wear the thicker ones, while others wear the thinner ones; but we all wear them. The preconceived notions we already have about someone or a situation will most likely undermine our objectivity.

What we want from the world needs to fall in to our laps when we feel or think we are entitled to it. 

I am your customer, so I should get impeccable customer service. This customer service needs to be given in the manner how I perceive it to be. No, you may not falter in this service for any reason because I give you my well earned money. Whatever the customer says is right because the customer is always right. 

As almost everything is becoming service orientated nowadays, we take "the customer is always right" and tend to forget that those providing the service are people like us - not people any above us or any below us. They are humans, and as humans they will mistakes; like any of us make in our daily lives. Yes, they are there to provide those services to you, but even then mistakes will be made. 

We tend to get frustrated when the service is below a standard we deem it fit. In our frustration we do not try to solve the problem, but we do end up becoming part of it or escalating it more than it actually started off as. It is much more easier to yell at the person for ruining your time than stopping to think why this problem arose in the first place. 

I am now both a customer to someone and a part of an organization providing a service to someone else. I have seen both sides, and it really does make me think. I have been guilty of taking my frustrations out, and I am sure many others have been as well. I have gotten frustrated at my TV providers on more than one occasion. However, it is not their fault if my TV is not working because of weather problems, is it? As someone on the other side, being the provider, I have been on the receiving end too. Perhaps being on both sides gives a broader perspective. 

The Y is there to provide everyone the 5 Star Experience, but sometimes due to unforeseen circumstances it may not be what someone expects it to be. However, we do our best. We are able to provide this experience to our members because of our staff and volunteers. Sometimes, circumstances do happen that hinder an experience, but a solution to the best of everyone's ability is sought. 

I missed Bosu this week because the online schedule said it started 30 minutes later than it actually started. I was upset that I missed the class because I had to drive all the way to Massey. However, technological glitches do happen. The website is very up to date, and that is because of an effort that is made to keep it  that way. A glitch that happens rarely should not and cannot take away the effort that creates a bigger picture.

Sometimes I go to a class because I like the instructor. However, these instructors may be volunteers or staff that have situations come up that become higher priority. Of course I go to a class, initially, because of the instructor, but the underlying reason is (or should be) that I go to a class to improve my quality of life. So yes, it is easier to feel frustrated when the service that is promised to you is not delivered up to your standards. But sometimes, taking a deep breath and thinking why it may not be delivered today when it always is other days can turn the situation into a win win situation.

I have the ability to both criticize the service and to think why the service is not up to the standard it should be. Now it becomes my choice as to which ability I will pick to act upon.

Take care,
Simmi



No comments:

Post a Comment