Tuesday, February 5, 2013

I am the New YMCA Community Outreach Intern!



I'm Simmi - the new Community Outreach Intern here at the YMCA of Northern BC! One of the aspects in my job description was to blog. Okay, so how cool is that? Very.  However, it was not very cool right from the beginning, it took its’ time to achieve coolness.  

Let’s now have a moment of confession.

I am a recent graduate of the University of Northern British Columbia, an exceptional university if I may say so, with a Bachelor of Health Sciences degree; a major in Biomedical Studies and minor in General Business.  Now like every graduate out there, well most anyways, I asked the question “What can I do with this degree?” Luckily, it was not that hard of a question to answer. Then what was the hard question? It was when will I get a job? Okay wait, this insight is good and all, but did I not say something about a confession? Ha! Did you think I forgot? 

So eventually, very eventually, I stumbled upon the opportunity of becoming an intern at the YMCA.  . Though I did not apply for this position straightaway; passing it by a few times with the thoughts of being under qualified carving themselves in my mind. I think it was the 5th time before I actually spent more than 5 minutes on the application. As I went through it I was like oh my God, I actually know how to do this! Before, I always passed on it because of the “Digital Intern” title, thinking to myself that I am not that great with graphics etc. Does this not reinforce the concept of do not judge a book by its’ cover?! It so does!
After that I applied for the position, and in a few days I even got a call for an interview! Furthering my pleasant surprise was the next surprise of getting the internship! 

Finally the D day came.  The morning started out easy enough; fill out some forms and read up on the rules and regulations. Recording my voicemail was fun too, though I still maintain that the script was too long! Then Karen got me to work; I was to make my time table for the month. In it I was to schedule in activities I, as an intern, needed to do. Some of the activities include Zumba and Fusion! I can actually improve my quality of life while working! Not bad, not bad at all. I could do this, and moreover, this was FUN.

I let myself, rather dared myself, to think that I could do this. But they say all good things come to an end. Or do they? So after lunch Karen briefed me on the major project that was part of this internship – a project that will have a big impact on the YMCA’s regional outreach. It is some really heavy duty work. I thought, no wait, I know how to do this. Three years in university I did mostly this! The only difference is that there I had to pay to be able to do it, and here I actually get paid to do it. The good has not ended yet.

So in a nutshell what I think I am saying is that even with all these jumbled emotions I think I will survive. Even if these emotions are just part of my FIRST day only, I think it will be one awesome experience!
And if you think this is last you will hear from me then you are sorely mistaken my friends! 

Till we virtually meet again, take care and eat an apple or two in celebration of Apple Month!

No comments:

Post a Comment